Would working at a distance make your life better?
The initial trend may be to answer yes to this question. But the fact is that in order to enjoy the possible benefits of teleworking (eg, cost reduction, better quality of life, better use of time), workers and companies need to manage the risks of the model.
The worker will have to deal, for example, with the responsibility for autonomy, with isolation, with discipline for the good use of time. The company, on the other hand, with the need to have communication systems and infrastructure that guarantee the model, labor laws, the preparation of its leaders to exercise remote supervision, the risk of isolation of workers, issues of hygiene and safety at work, to name a few variables.
Ascend approached the topic with 127 professionals. Here are the results:
80% of the professionals stated that their quality of life would be better if the company offered the option of teleworking. Only 5% said their quality of life would not improve. 13% answered maybe. The rest did not know how to answer.
70% of professionals said that teleworking would increase their level of satisfaction with the company. 11% said their satisfaction would not change with the model. 16% said maybe. The rest said they didn't know.
As for commuting to work: only 23% of respondents said it took less than 30 minutes; 35%, between 30 and 60 minutes; 42%, more than 1 hour.
As for missing work to resolve personal issues, only 8% of professionals said they never did it. Of the remaining 92%: 23% are absent 4 times or more times a year; 20% are absent 3 times a year; 26%, twice a year; 23%, once a year.
52% of professionals say that the implementation of teleworking would reduce absenteeism in the company. 11% said they didn't. 34% said maybe. The rest said they did not know if there would be a decrease in absenteeism.
As for the time that professionals spend in the workplace due to interruptions (telephone, people, meetings, others), 39% said they lost more than 90 minutes a day. 31%, between 60 and 90 minutes a day. 24%, between 30 and 60 minutes. Only 6% said they lost less than 30 minutes a day.
As for teleworking to contribute to greater productivity in the organization, 55% of professionals believe that productivity would be increased. 8% said they didn't and 35%, maybe. The rest said they didn't know.
On the reduction of fixed costs (rent, maintenance, electricity, water, travel, transportation, etc.) for the company: 70% of professionals said that their companies would be able to reduce costs. 12% believe that costs would not be reduced. 17% answered maybe. The rest did not know how to answer.
Regarding teleworking, it could be applied to all areas of the company, 46% answered no; 30%, yes; 24%, maybe.